Go From No Clue to a No Problem SQL DBA
Have you ever tried to use a SQL database only to get really confused? Or maybe you couldn’t even figure out how to install a SQL server in the first place. Even now, after almost two decades of experience with SQL Server, I still have to look carefully at the options to make sure I’m choosing the right ones. That shouldn’t be. That’s why I created this course. I want to change the game for you.
If you want to be a DBA, develop databases, or are just curious about SQL, this course is for you. Even if you know nothing about databases or SQL Server, you will still fit right in with this course. I start by showing you where to get SQL, which edition to get, how to install it (with an explanation of the options to choose or change), and how to hook up the management studio to actually work with the database server. And that’s just the first two lessons. In all, you will learn how to:
- Create a database
- Create tables, views, and stored procedures
- View, add, update, and delete data
- Optimize your tables and lookups
- Backup and restore databases
- Script everything – don’t worry, we also use forms to fill in information as well
Every step along the way, I will talk you through not only what to do but also why to do it and what the alternatives are and what the best practices are. If you want to understand SQL databases, this is the course for you.
There are a few key things that differentiate this course from the competition. They are:
- This course starts from the real beginning: what is SQL and how do I install it.
- This course doesn’t assume anything. I will take you from knowing nothing to a solid understanding of SQL development.
- This course is “real world”. No canned examples here. We will look at examples that we can actually use, and I will discuss the tradeoffs of decisions as if it were a real production database.
- This course is deep. I will give you the why of our actions, not just what to do. You will understand the reasons so you can do it on your own later.
I truly believe this is the course that you need to take if you need to learn how to be a SQL database developer.